Thursday 6 November 2008

Selling, Shipping and Scams

We've decided not to take too much with us as my wife still has a fair amount of stuff in storage in Australia. What we have decided to take is a few pieces of furniture, my guitars and amplifier, some books (mostly my cookery books) and personal effects.

The rest of our stuff, my CD's, LP's and various collections for example, will be looked after by my parents until we decide that we want to ship them over (the items, not my parents...) So I've arranged for a couple of companies, Robinsons International Removals and Excess Baggage to give us a quote.

Once of the things we're concerned about is shipping wooden items as we've heard that it can cost quite a lot to get them treated, so that is something that we will want to ask each of them, so at least we'll have an idea on costs.

Finally, my wife has been trying to sell her car on Autotrader. Within a day of the advert going online she had an email enquiry from someone allegedly in Spain who made a very good offer and said they would be sending a Certified Bank Draft for somewhat more than the offer and asking that we send the difference to the shipping company. Alarm bells started ringing and I began Googling to see what I could find out. From the number of people that had received almost identical emails, this appears to be a scam, possibly using stolen Bank Drafts that are cancelled after you have forwarded the money to the "shipping company" leaving you several thousand pounds out of pocket. So, be warned and if you are contacted this way, make sure you check it out thoroughly!

No comments: